ABC 10 News reports a person at the Castle Park Head Start program in Chula Vista was diagnosed with Hepatitis A, and the county of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency reported Thursday that parents and staff are being notified of potential exposure.
Staff and children who ate breakfast at the facility at 1375 Third Ave. between Jan. 7 and Jan. 14 are at risk for contracting Hepatitis A. The illness is usually spread when someone ingests microscopic amounts of fecal matter from contact with food, drinks or objects contaminated by someone who is infected, according to the HHSA.
“The risk to the public is low, but anyone who was at the Head Start who was notified about the exposure should be aware of the signs and symptoms of Hepatitis A,” said Dr. Wilma Wooten, the county’s public health officer.
“Anyone who has been immunized with Hepatitis A vaccine or previously had the disease is considered protected from the virus, but we encourage anyone who has not had the vaccine and who may have been exposed to contact their health care provider to discuss options for prevention,” she said.