As of September 14, 2016:
Since the last update, HDOH has identified 19 new cases of hepatitis A. All cases have been in adults, 68 have required hospitalization.
Findings of the investigation suggest that the source of the outbreak is focused on Oahu. Ten (10) individuals are residents of the islands of Hawaii, Kauai, or Maui, and four visitors have returned to the mainland.
CONFIRMED CASES OF HEPATITIS A – 271
Onset of illness has ranged between 6/12/16 – 9/4/16.
An employee of the following food service business(es) has been diagnosed with hepatitis A. This list does not indicate these businesses are sources of this outbreak; at this time, no infections have been linked to exposure to these businesses. The likelihood that patrons of these businesses will become infected is very low. However, persons who have consumed food or drink products from these businesses during the identified dates of service should contact their healthcare provider for advice and possible preventive care.
Listed businesses will be removed from this list once 50 days have elapsed from the affected employee’s last service date while potentially infectious. Since the incubation period for hepatitis A is between 15 and 50 days, any customers who were potentially exposed at that business are no longer considered at risk for developing hepatitis A from that exposure after 50 days have passed.
- Chili’s, Oahu, Kapolei (590 Farrington Highway), July 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26, and 27, 2016
- Hokkaido Ramen Santouka, Oahu, Honolulu (801 Kaheka Street), July 21-23, 26-30, and August 2-6, 9-11, 2016
- Papa John’s Waipahu, Oahu, Waipahu (94-1021 Waipahu Street), July 23-24, and August 2, 2016
- New Lin Fong bakery, Oahu, Chinatown (1132 Maunakea Street), July 20, 22-23, 25, 27, 29-30, and August 1, 3, and 5-6, 2016
- Hawaiian Airlines, July 31-August 1, August 10-12
- Zippy’s Restaurant, Oahu, Kapolei (950 Kamokila Boulevard), August 14, 18–19, 21, 23, and 25–26
- Harbor Restaurant at Pier 38, Oahu, Honolulu (1133 North Nimitz Highway), August 26 through September 12
- Benjamin Parker Elementary School, Oahu, August 28 through August 30